Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sunday's Sweet Confessions Link Party #11 and Co-Host!

Pin It Now!
Sweet Confessions Sunday Link Party #11 and Very First Co-Host!

Hi everyone!!  I am thrilled to announce that this week, I have my very first, and very fantastic co-host:  Carrie, from Frugal Foodie Mama!!  I hope you will all give her a warm welcome, visit her blog, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest, and say hi!  Today, in place of our Sunday Sweet Links Features, we have a to die for recipe from Carrie: her Chocolate Covered Cherry Coke Cake!  I used to drink Cherry Coke by the gallon, so this is right up my alley!

Our Sunday Sweet Links Features Post will be a separate post this week, so make sure to check that out still.

No more blabbing from me, here is our awesome guest post!

________________________________________________________________________

Hello!  I am Carrie and I blog over at Frugal Foodie Mama about my life as a stay-at-home mom to a baby and a teenager, my family's journey to become a little more eco-responsible everyday, and how I still manage to stay a foodie on our one income budget.  Please stop on over any time and say hi! 

Today I am going to share with all of you my recipe for Chocolate Covered Cherry Coke Cake.  For my son's birthday, I decided to combine a few of his favorites- fudgy chocolate and Cherry Coke.
I have always heard about those Coca-Cola chocolate cakes, and it has been on my list of recipes to try.  So, I thought why not try it with Cherry Coke instead of Coke?

I created this recipe from hodge podge of a couple of Coca-Cola chocolate cake recipes and one of my favorite bundt cake recipes, the Better Than Pretty Much Everything Chocolate Cake from the Is This Really My Life? blog.  I kind of pieced it together and prayed that it turned out edible.  Lucky for myself, my son, and our birthday party guests, it turned out decadently fabulous.

What you will need to make your own:
For the bundt cake:
16.5oz box of Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix
5.9oz box of Chocolate Fudge instant pudding mix
1/2 cup of sour cream
1 egg
12oz can of Cherry Coke
1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the Chocolate Covered Cherry glaze:
1 cup of fresh cherries, pitted and halved
3/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 tbsp of butter
1 tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp vanilla

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly spray a bundt pan with cooking spray and coat with flour.  Mix together all the ingredients for the bundt cake except for the chocolate chips.  Mix right away because the pudding mix will quickly make the batter thick.  Once the batter is well mixed, stir in the chocolate chips.  Pour into your prepared bundt cake pan and bake for about 55 minutes.  

Once baked, let the bundt cake cool for about an hour before turning it out onto a serving plate.

Halve and pit about 1 cup of fresh cherries.  I wish that I could tell you that I have a fancy trick for this, but I do not.  Someone told me to try using a straw to poke out the pits.  It sort of worked, but my knife and fingers worked them out way quicker.

Now for the Chocolate Covered Cherry glaze...
Melt the butter, chocolate chips, light syrup, and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often.  When completely melted and well incorporated, add the cherry halves.  Simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.  Let it cool slightly (maybe 5 minutes), and then pour the chocolate and cherries over the top of the cooled cake.

 And there you go!  Chocolate Covered Cherry Coke Cake! :)  This cake is pretty rich, and oh so sinful.  It was really moist.  I was actually surprised at how much of the liquids were successfully replaced by the Cherry Coke in the recipe.  No oil, no water, and only 1 egg.  

__________________________________________________________________

Thank you so much Carrie!!  Can't wait to try this out!  

6 comments:

  1. It's a great looking cake Carrie and seems to be super delicious.
    I'd actually love to make it but we don't use here cake/brownies mixes, we make only from scratch...

    Thanks Lindsay and Carrie for this great party:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for hosting. Your cake looks amazing.
    Debi @ Adorned from Above

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thanks so much for hosting! We would love to welcome you over at Seasonal Celebration Sunday linky each week athttp://www.naturalmothersnetwrk.com
    I have linked 12 irresistible pumpkin recipes this week. Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for hosting! i{heart} your link up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for hosting, Lindsay. This recipe looks delicious!! Congrats on your first co-host. I would love to co-host sometime too. Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hosting! And Carrie's cake looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...